AST CALL FOR APPLICATION FROM MEDITERRANEAN COASTAL CITIES
UNEP/MAP is pleased to inform you that the deadline for the submission of applications for the Istanbul Environment Friendly City Award has been extended until 18 September 2019. We encourage a broad participation from Mediterranean coastal cities and towns.
Funded by the Government of Turkey, the Istanbul Environment Friendly City Award was created in the framework of the Mediterranean Strategy for Sustainable Development (MSSD) to recognize efforts of local authorities in promoting sustainable development in Mediterranean coastal cities.
Cities located along the Mediterranean coast are invited to apply by demonstrating concrete steps taken and progress achieved to protect the environment, improve the quality of life, and promote sustainable development, in line with the priorities of the Mediterranean Action Plan and the principles enshrined in the Barcelona Convention.
Applications submitted by local authorities should emphasize partnerships with civil society, the scientific community and the private sector, including projects aimed at promoting urban sustainability. Both achievements and plans for strengthening urban sustainability in a coastal context will be considered.
- Complete the application form
- Include the signature of the mayor (or legal representative), or provide an official letter from the local authority supporting the application
- Submit in PDF and MS Word to [email protected] – copy to [email protected] by 18 September 2019.
- Application deadline: 18 September 2019
- Selection notification: November 2019
- Award ceremony: the ceremony will take place during the Ministerial Session of the 21st Ordinary Meeting of the Contracting Parties to the Barcelona Convention (COP 21) to be held in Naples, Italy, on 2-5 December 2019.
For more information:
Please refer the following background documents: