The creation of a Global Platform on the Right to the City took place during the International Meeting on the Right to the City, celebrated from the 12th to the 14th of November 2014 in Sao Paulo, Brazil. The Committee on Social Inclusion, Participatory Democracy and Human Rights is part of the eighteen organizers of the International Meeting on the Right to the City. This Meeting coordinated by Polis Institute (Brazil), National Forum on Urban Reform (Brazil) and Habitat International Coalition (HIC), gathered 158 participants come from Latin America, Africa, Asia and Europe, bringing together a total of 104 institutions from local, regional, national and international levels.
The main goals of the Platform are contributing to the adoption of commitments, public policies, plans and actions in order to build fair, democratic, sustainable and inclusive cities. In that way, an Action Plan was discussed during the Meeting. It consists in four lines:
- Strategies of advocacy for the right to the city, in order to influence national and local government’s policies, and to have an impact on the definition of the New Post- 2015 Agenda and United Nations’ Conference on Housing in 2016 (Habitat III)
- Research, training and Capacity Building on the right to the city
- Communication, awareness and cultural dimension of action for the right to the city
- Articulation and alliances of the Global Platform on the right to the city
The building process of the Global Platform on the Right to the City will continue at the beginning of 2015, during the World Social Forum in Tunis (24-28 March), where many activities – such as working groups, training, meetings – are planned, and during the Second Preparatory Meeting (PrepCom) of Habitat III in Nairobi, Kenya (14-16 April), two strategic places to strengthen the right to the city’s implementation.
This Platform is open to all organizations sharing its principles and its goals.
For further information,
- Consult the Platform’s website where all Meeting’s documents will be available.
- You can also refer to the part of the committee’s website dedicated to the Meeting or contact the Executive Secretariat: [email protected],
- Read the Statement of Outcomes of the International Meeting on the Right to the City